Thursday 13 March 2008

rule of three

Today's knitting is modelled by Three Things England Does Best. A floor of red quarry tiles; milk bottles from the doorstep (silver top for full-cream; red and silver stripes for semi-skimmed); and the Egremont russet.

Although "Egremont" sounds a bit French, it's not; this is a Victorian-era English apple that I devour in great quantities every time I come back. It has quite a short season so sometimes I miss out, but it seems some are still lingering in the shops at the moment. They go a bit woolly if you keep them for too long, but a fresh one can't be beaten.


The knitting doesn't look like much at the moment, but it's going to be a cardigan.

As for these socks, it's amazing what you can do with a 27-hour plane ride.
What? Oh, you spotted it. Yes, all right, they are socks. I know I'm supposed to be over socks. But they're pure 100% New Zealand wool. As such they are a bit itchy, so I hope they're big enough for their future owner to wear over other socks. I love this pattern (it's the twisty cable one from before, the possum socks) but it's kind of piddly and small for what's supposed to be big honking men's socks.
The academic gown is in celebration of my role this week as chauffeuse to Emerita Professor My Mum. The socks are being completed in the halls of learning.

No comments: